Crazy Cow Country Farm

Your daily dose of manure

Crazy Cow Country Farm header image 2

October 15th, 2006 · 2 Comments · Uncategorized

I no longer work at Walmart

I finished the website about Walmart and had it up last Monday and then I mailed hard copies to the officers listed on on Tuesday. Wednesday I received an email from a reporter with a national newspaper and he conducted a phone interview on Thursday. I’ll keep you posted if they decide to run a story.

We have been able to obtain health insurance through Ed’s employer and I was able to quit Walmart this morning. It’s a wonderful but surreal feeling.

Naturally, life hasn’t been uneventful on the farm and I can now focus on updating here regularly since I’ll be here anyway answering phones for LiveOps about 30 hours each week. Yay! Fifteen is getting larger by the day and just when I think she can’t get any bigger, she does. I keep checking her bag every day and it doesn’t appear to be enlarging yet. Hopefully she doesn’t have far to go.

We have one, yes ONE, hen who’s started laying. Unfortunately she has decided to lay her beautiful greenish/taupe eggs in the goat’s hay trough. I’ve talked to her about this but it didn’t do any good so I took drastic measures – I kept the hens locked up until afternoon and then searched the coop for her egg. You guessed it, about 20 minutes after I let them out there was an egg in the trough. For the next two days I kept the hens in the coop and she still wouldn’t lay in the coop! I put a few baskets in there, straw rather than shavings in the boxes, raised them, lowered them, you name it – this girl will NOT lay in that coop. I’ll keep working on it.

I came home from work Friday evening to find that we had no water. We tried everything Saturday but couldn’t get it working so we drove into Lowe’s and spent a bloody fortune on a new pump and control box (the old box wouldn’t work with the new pump). Just for kicks Ed hooked up the new control box and son-of-a-gun it worked! I was really excited about that because the idea of digging a huge hole in the yard and pulling out 60 feet of galvanized 30 yr. old pipe in the rain.

Ed seems to be healing but it’s a very slow process. His ankles are still swollen, as well as his hands. Just like when the doctor gave him the steroid shot and it was clearing, it’s all “coming to the surface” now and he looks really bad. Although it looks really terrible, it’s in the clearing stage rather than the worsening stage. Hopefully within a month or so he’ll be looking back to normal.

It’s cold and raining but we have a roast slow-cooking in gravy for mashed potatoes and a loaf of fresh bread. I even have a glass of wine and it’s not even 5:00 yet. Doesn’t get any better than that.

 photo mylivesigfinal_zpsbe6e7807.png